Message from the Club Chairman:
Lisbon Casuals Hockey Club was formed in 2008 through the merger of the original Hockey Section of Lisbon Casuals Sports Club in Carcavelos and Cascais Hockey Club. Both clubs had been in existence for many years but realised our combined strengths could enable us to field teams in all categories at both League and Social levels. This has resulted in LCHC being characteristically a mix of local and foreign nationals, a quite unique combination in the Portuguese hockey landscape. With a current membership in excess of 100 players we are today one of the few hockey clubs in Portugal fielding teams in all the Portuguese Hockey Federation competitions.
Our mission is to encourage young people to participate in this, as yet, underdeveloped sport in Portugal by providing a friendly and energetic environment on which to build their talents and skills both on and off the field.
Our objectives in this current season are as follows:
- To increase our membership in all sections and in particular attract and develop young players to enable the Club to challenge for domestic honours in the senior mens and ladies categories.
- To strengthen our commitment to our junior playing sections (Infantis; Iniciados; Juvenis) which now account for almost half of our membership and we are pleased to have dedicated coaches for each of the junior categories with many of the parents providing strong support both on and off the field.
- To sign a protocol with Instituto Desporto de Portugal (IDP) for the regular use of the water based astro pitch at the National Stadium in Cruz Quebrada. Whilst our longer term objective would be to have our own facilities in the short/medium term our plan is to play our hockey at the National Stadium.
- To provide a sustainable cash flow through membership and sponsorship support. We are extremely grateful that Ernst & Young and ING have joined New Vibrations as Sponsors since last year.
- To continue to host visiting/touring clubs from overseas across all sections and in particular Veterans (Mens or Mixed) as Lisbon has so much to offer (see Touring Teams Section) and we are delighted to welcome this year Dubai Falcons, London Wayfarers, S.C. Idar-Oberstein, Oxford University, Bremen and Bergstedt.
- To invite and encourage participation in the Club hockey and social activities to all its members and their families.
Finally it is in all our interests at LCHC to strive to put hockey more prominently on the sporting map in Portugal and to this end our links to the Portuguese Hockey Federation have been substantially deepened in recent seasons and we are actively involved in trying to attract more children to take up the game through our visibility at the National Stadium and plans to sponsor future events there.